Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Alpha & Omega

On April 20th, 2006 I started writing a squad level skirmish miniatures wargame I called Sturmgruppe. On February 5th, 2008 I finished the Alpha test ruleset for Strike Force Commander.

My game has changed quite a bit since I started out. What was intended to be a WWII game turned out to be a historical skirmish game that can be used for any time period. It's not 'generic'; in fact it has quite a lot of flavor that will bring your games to life. Besides, we all know that its the miniatures and scenery that set the flavor and feel of the game. Rules are just there to provide a method for moving your toy soldiers around and taking your buddy's minis out of play.

SFC is a balance of playability and realism. When models get shot or stabbed, they do what real people do; they fall down. It's a whole new day in skirmish gaming. I'm very proud of it.

So, now I have a set of Alpha test rules for my playtesters to sink their fangs into. I'll keep plugging away, though at a slower pace, to fill out the rest of the rules.

I'll set up a website and allow others to down load the rules and playtest it for themselves, thereby opening the circle of feedback.

It's been a long journey over the past couple of years. But I will say this; there is a deep seated satisfaction to finishing the bulk of this game. It is my best writing work in this genre, and I hope others will enjoy playing it as much as I do.

Noch Weiter!

Faust

No comments:

Post a Comment